- Use mixed broccoli sprouting seeds from Mumm's seeds.
- 1 tablespoon of seeds for the tray.
- Gently pat an inch of moist seed starting soil-free (peat based) potting mix in a shallow seeding tray with drainage holes.
- Sow the seeds evenly and thickly (but not overlapping) on top of the mix. Cover the seeds lightly with more moist seed starting mix.
- Mist the seeds with water twice a day. Once they sprout, usually by day 4, water only from below.
- Place the tray in a sunny window as soon as the seeds have sprouted.
- Put them under artificial lights for a few hours each day in the winter, to top up the sunlight. If the temperature rises a few degrees above freezing, give them a little afternoon sun outside.
-I run a fan across the seedlings for 10 minutes each day. Maybe not necessary....
|Low February light = under lights for a few hours each evening.|
-Harvest starting on the 8-9th day following sowing, or earlier if you prefer. Cut them well above the potting mix, with scissors.
-They taste delicious when tender and have a stronger flavor as they age. I harvest them when they are young, before the first true leaves have developed.
-Wash them well, and rinse in a fine strainer.
-Use them immediately in salads, sandwiches, smoothies, pastas. Best to use them right away. Harvest as needed and use fresh.
-View my video above, to see the action.
|Broccoli microgreens on pasta|
|Sunning in February in Edmonton.|