Seed Strategies - Save them from year to year.


Date seed packets

Buying Seeds

It has been surprising to me to discover that some old seeds continue to sprout, often years after purchase. Some seeds have germinated 5 or 6 years after I obtained them. Keep leftover seeds! 

Remember, though, that all seeds lose viability over time - at different rates, mind you. Tomato seeds retain viability well, but onion seeds do not.

The ideal time to buy seeds is just before you plant them.  Seeds bought just before planting should be the freshest.  Some seed companies put a ‘best before’ or ‘packaged on’ date on the packet, others do not. Some packets reveal the date just under the flap, but you need to open the packet to see it.  I keep unused seeds from year to year, so before I open a packet of seeds I mark the year I purchased them on the seed packet. 

It is worth mentioning that some seeds never sprout, new or old. This is rare and frustrating. I have had newly purchased rosemary seeds never germinate, but old ones in my seed collection, remained viable. Mostly though, new seeds reliably germinate. Just be patient. 

I usually buy some of next year’s seeds (tomato and squash) in September. Yes, these seeds may be older than those sold next spring, but some tomatoes, squashes and popular or unique seed varieties are hard to find. So if I see seeds for sale that I really want to plant next year, and I think they may not be readily available, and over-all they have good germination rates over time, I buy them in September. Another benefit of having seeds on hand is that I can start them as early as I want in winter.  I start next year’s peppers in February, and grow them under lights in the basement. I like to start herbs early too, so that they are a good size when transplanted outside. 

Seeds are not cheap.  Have you noticed that recently, there seems to be fewer seeds in each packet. And they cost more. Seeds are cheaper if you buy in bulk but I usually buy the smallest packets because I like to experiment with different varieties. I just garden in my backyard, and I give some seedlings away, but I don't have a big production.

Favourite tomato seeds, like Sungold, are quite pricey. With this in mind, I plant only one expensive seed in each pot. When you pay $5 for 15 seeds, you want 15 plants. When seeds were cheaper, we would plant 3 seeds to a pot, and pluck out the weaker two. No more. 

Save all leftover seeds in their packets. Write gardening hints about the variety on the packet, such as “try growing in a pot” or “attracts slugs”. Fold the top over and close the packet up with a paper clip. Store seeds indoors in a cool, dry place, not in direct sun. 

Can you save seeds from plants for next season? Yes, if the variety is not a 'hybrid'. Collect the ripened seeds at the end of the season. Save peas, beans, lettuce, tomatoes (not hybrid), poppies, dill, oregano.

Some backyard gardeners think they need new seeds each season. No! Save your seeds from year to year. If in doubt about their viability, plant a few in a pot early in spring. If they all sprout, you are good to go. If only one of three sprouts, keep that in mind when planting. 

You can also test their viability by putting a piece of paper towel in a small clear plastic container. Add a bit of water, place some seeds on the paper towel, close the lid, and see how many seeds sprout. You just want the seeds sitting on the moistened towel, not floating in water.  Check the sprouting time on the packet. Give them enough time. If they sprout, plant them.