|New layout, attractive cherry cabinets, better lighting, more storage & counter space. Excellent craftsmanship.|
|Before: Old kitchen. Just hanging in there.|
The kitchen measures 12 x 11 feet, and we wanted to make use of every square inch. We hired Edmonton master carpenter and artisan craftsman Mike Giles to design, custom build and install our new kitchen. He did wonderful work, all within a few weeks and with very little disruption.
1) Replaced cabinets with custom made Shaker style Cherry cabinets, stained in a mid-tone stain made by Mike Giles. Satin nickel knobs from Lee Valley.
2) Increased the depth of the countertops, and the height and depth of lower and upper cabinets by a few inches. Traded floor space for usable storage and counterspace.
3) Moved refrigerator to the adjacent wall and added a countertop and drawers beside the stove, where the fridge was.
|After: New peninsula counter. Workspace for two chefs. Fridge moved.|
5) Expanded a small closet, fitted with built-in drawers and deep sliding pull-outs.
6) Built and installed Wilsonart Crystalline Onyx countertops, edged by cherry wood, with white laminate backsplash. Looks terrific. Replaced sink with a larger Silgranite sink in "anthracite".
|A place for everything|
7) Cabinets are fitted with strong pull-outs, corner lazy susans, sturdy drawers, adjustable shelves, interior spice racks. The garbage and compost bin slide out with the cupboard door, from under the sink, and the cutlery drawer is double layered, the top portion slides back.
8) Added dramatic crown moldings, to give ‘height’ to the ceiling, and grandeur to the room. Beautiful woodwork throughout. Arts and Crafts renovation.
9) Replaced the window, upgraded insulation, installed energy efficient lighting, more electrical outlets, upgraded fan over stove. We kept the microwave on the countertop, at a safer height.
|Before: a small curtained closet, a broken drawer.|
|After: built-in pantry, counter beside fridge, storage.|
|Wilsonart Crystalline Onyx counters with Cherry edging, beautiful woodwork, shelf over stove, substantive windowsill.|
|Hand crafted beauty, better use of space. Larger counters, well organized storage.|
|Paper, plastic & bottle recycling, broom, pantry & storage|
We love our new kitchen.
Kitchen designed, built and installed by Mike Giles Fine Woodwork, Edmonton, Alberta. 780-463-8127.